Circle of Support and System Pathways – Flowchart, Planner and Desk Reference
It is important to be aware of the resources, personnel and pathways within your school for help. The decision-tree template, Circle of Support and System Pathways Flowchart, is designed as a guide for staff when they are concerned about a student and wondering if additional mental health support might be required. Working with your mental health leader, the text boxes in the worksheet may be populated to include local or specific board information (e.g. suicide protocol, community protocols, internal forms, processes etc.).
During a staff meeting or other gathering, invite school staff to complete the Desk Reference template with specific names and roles of mental health supports that are available to them and the process or pathway to access them.
The intent of these tools is that administrators and educators would know:
- who in their school can provide mental health support for a student
- how they might refer a student for a case conference
- who are the mental health professionals in their school
- who the board Mental Health Leader is
- who can help make a connection to community agencies
- what the pathways are for making contact with each of the above